Saturday, July 11, 2009

Momentary Hiatus


The irony: my gmail theme tells me that it's clear and sunny in Boston while here in Montréal water steadily pours from the skies. We spent the morning traipsing around Mile End and visiting relics of Laurel's time here - her first apartment, her studio, the cafés where she spent endless hours. Mile End is also home to Montréal's famed bagel shops, where delicious rings of moist, chewy dough emerge freshly baked from the wood oven 24 hours a day. We'd planned on heading to Au Pied de Cochon for dinner to get a taste of their duck in a can, which has seemed to gain a cult status, but we didn't manage to nab reservations for tonight. We'll do that tomorrow instead - my last meal in this self-purported foodie heaven.

Laurel's out enjoying a brief run through the rain, an activity in which I can no longer partake due to the psoriatic arthritis that plagues the second toe on my left foot, so I'm sitting here listening to Beirut while perusing Chowhound for other quintessential Montréal eating experiences and garnering inspiration for my own website. The last entry's big photo slideshow fail has only further convinced me that I need to move to my own domain - the idea's been sloshing through my noggin for a number of years, but I think I finally sketched out a satisfactory design and site navigation last night. Of course, I should probably do my thesis proposal and finish the lab website and do all that other stuff on my summer list first, but I'll fit it in somewhere. Hopefully.

Meanwhile, here is some documentation of today's adventures (so far):

Bagel Stop #1: St. Viateur's Bagels

Hot out of the oven!

A quintessential Francophone experience: poppy-seed bagel with Orangina.



Fairmount Bagels, the other (supposedly more "original") bagel maker.

Everything bagel: garlic, onions, sea salt, poppy and sesame seeds. Delicious.

We walked into a funky artsy store and I thought these were hilarious. The flyswatter below is a map of Milan.


Tonight: smoked meat sandwiches at Schwartz's, followed by viewing a fireworks display put together by folks from the motherland.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home